Tuesday, September 29, 2009

In Russia, I Am One

Dear Friends,

In Russian, you can use the word "one" to mean alone. So, to say "I am alone" you say "I am one." Right now, alas, I am one. Everyone else stayed with Deanna to help her heal up from the bicycle accident.

I've managed to submit an application and all the supporting documents for a resident permit to live in Russia. They said I should hear back in six months or less. Please pray that it gets approved in lot less time. A resident permit (much like the American "green card") would allow me to live here without leaving the country. The present visa regime in Russia requires that I leave every three months out of six. Going through the application process was much easier than I expected, it only took about ten days of visiting government offices, having documents translated, seeing doctors, etc.

The first Sunday I was here the pastor asked me to preach a short sermon (many evangelical churches here have two sermons in a service, a short one and a long one). There was no translator there that morning, so I told him it would be only five or ten minutes. I spoke from the first three verses of the first psalm. Everyone kindly looked like they understood what I was saying in Russian. I hope it really did make sense.

We have a good report for Deanna. She is healing quickly, and the doctor is even letting her eat soft foods like macaroni. Please pray that she will be allowed to travel soon, so that we can all be in Russia by the end of October.

Fall is definitely here, and you can feel that winter is just around the corner. After the rush of getting everything done for my resident permit, I had some free time to take some walks around the city. Here is Lenin square. Most cities in Russia have a place downtown called Lenin square.

I actually enjoyed riding on the city busses and streetcars. Probably after a year I won't be enjoying them anymore. I guess I missed them while I was in the States.

I have tickets to return to the States on the 7th of October. Lord willing, I'll soon be on my way back to Khabarovsk - with my family this time!

Because of Him,
Cecil